Here is a list of cycling "firsts" I've been reading about in the blogosphere lately:
- First road bike ride (http://cycling4fun.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-metric.html)
- First Spring Ride (http://ilovemybrookssaddle.blogspot.com/2009/03/first-spring-ride.html)
- First Spring Training Ride (http://www.tindonkey.com/2009/03/first-spring-training-ride.html)
- First race http://suitcaseofcourage.typepad.com/the_suitcase_of_courage/2009/03/weekend-racing.html)
- First team ride (http://mainevelophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/first-official-team-ride/)
- First 2009 NBW ride (http://martysbikerides.blogspot.com/2009/03/nbw-028-east-providence-spring-season.html)
- First Week back in the Saddle (http://trialsintri.blogspot.com/2009/03/first-week-back-in-saddle.html)
I'm very pleased to see that my fellow cycling bloggers are faithfully completing their 2009 cycling "firsts" and moving forward toward meeting their cycling goals. I'm certainly not in competition with anyone for any type of cycling stat or bragging rights (except perhaps myself), but my inability to get on track while others are off and running is starting to weigh on me.
The month of March has been particularly frustrating so far with snow-clogged roads to start the month, followed by a bout with the flu, a need to prioritize the completion of home remodeling projects, lingering effects from being sick, and finally this past weekend, a home full of guests for the weekend (my SIL and her 3 children stayed with us this weekend and on Sat we had a birthday party for my daughter). Then a review of my cycling goals for 2009 reveals that I've already missed one entirely - to start routine "training" rides BEFORE daylight savings time begins on March 8. And now I'm starting to question my ability to commit to early morning rides on the weekends as I wimp out upon sight of the thermometer!
I need to get on track soon...the pressure is of my own making but it's building quickly and I don't like the feeling!
Tomorrow looks like a fine day for my FIRST after work ride of the season. We'll see what happens.